258 Mammoth Road, Londonderry, NH 03053
Most of the following is extracted from "Historical Minutes" compiled by Helen Plummer in 1989.
The Londonderry Methodist Church was founded in the spring of 1854 with the first service held by Mr. Nutter in the Londonderry Town Hall (now the Lion's Hall). Mr. Nutter, from Kingston, was subsequently appointed to Londonderry by the Methodist Conference and worship services were started in small neighborhood meetings in different parts of town.
After two years of fundraising and building, the Methodist Church building was completed and dedicated on March 5, 1856, with a debt of $300 which was soon repaid. In 1869 the first parsonage was purchased with raised funds of $1200 plus a debt of $500.
During the period from 1871 to 1883 the Sunday School membership grew from 99 to 157! A new organ was purchased at a cost of $100, and a chandelier for $37. In 1884 eight new horse sheds were built at the rear of the church at a cost of $160.
In the 1870s and 1880s there was much cooperation with the Londonderry Presbyterian Church. The Methodist congregation contributed generously toward the purchase of a bell for the Presbyterian Church which was to be rung for the services of both churches.
A meeting of pew holders in 1891 decided to proceed with needed renovations. The church was raised up to two feet, and a furnace and new slate roof were installed. The door was changed to the center of the building and vestry and coat rooms to the right and left of the entrance were finished.
In 1931 electric lights were installed at the church and the parsonage, and water was piped to the sinks.
In 1953 the Londonderry Methodist and Presbyterian churches joined in federation, which lasted until to 1961. In 1968 the global United Methodist Church was formed with the merger of the Methodist Church and the Evangelical United Brethren Church.
The Londonderry United Methodist Church spire was added in 1980. Ground was broken for the addition of the Sunday School and Fellowship Hall wing in June of 1988 and the building was consecrated on April 30, 1989. Mike Sowers, Building Chairman and Bud Macomber, Clerk of the Works, headed up many volunteer workers.
If not, see what you're missing!
See it under "About LUMC"